Topic detail page
Previous page
Showing posts 1 to 24 of 24
Marching Band in Urmston
Topic posted by Sherbert ... dated:19 April 2009
Just spent Sunday afternoon listening to the marching band in Golden Hill Park.
I'm not sure what the occasion was, but we were sitting in the sunshine listening to the sounds of Wallace & Gromit, Amarillo etc!!

Whoever you all were - WELL DONE!!
Re: Marching Band in Urmston
Reply posted by Charliezzz ... dated:27 November 2009

Congratulations to all...it was a long day and we all did really well!

Reply posted by Dogsbody ... dated:26 November 2009

Well done everyone !

Reply posted by DavidU ... dated:25 November 2009

For those who are interested 3rd Davyhulme Scout and Guide Band were National Class (the most senior class) runners-up in the Traditional Youth Marching Bands Association's National Championships held at Cannock last Sunday.

The band was the winner of the 'set piece' competition, where bands played anonymously behind a screen, unseen by the judges. The judges then graded the bands on the quality of their playing a pre-chosen piece of music.

Charlotte, a band member, became TYMBA musician of the year, beating five other senior section winners after previously winning the senior woodwind class at the TYMBA solos competition earlier this year.

Congratulations all round.

Reply posted by DavidU ... dated:25 April 2009
3rd Davyhulme Scout and Guide Band also leads the annual Urmston Remembrance Day prade in November.

For those who are interested in seeing and hearing 3rd Davyhulme, plus other traditional youth marching bands (most members under 25 years old) from all over the country, perform their musical and marching displays, visit the annual Greater Manchester Youth Marching Band Competition, hosted by 3rd Davyhulme Scout and Guide Band.

It is usually held at the George Carnell leisure centre, provisionally the 10th and 11th October this year.

The band practises on Thursday evenings at the Endeavour, 3rd Davyhulme headquarters, located off Conway Road behind Christ Church, for those who would like to find out more about it.

Best wishes to all those at Windsor this weekend.
Reply posted by Katdazzle ... dated:23 April 2009
I watched it pass the front of my house with my young son, and my neighbour's son was in it. It was so lovely, I haven't seen anything like this since I was little up until I moved back to Urmston. Adds to a real community feel. Love it!

Well done Dennis and troops!
Reply posted by Badger ... dated:23 April 2009
As a leader at 8th Flixton (St Johns) Beavers I would just like to say it was a great parade and our Beavers enjoyed it very much. Thanks for the organisation.
Reply posted by Sherbert ... dated:23 April 2009
Just thought I'd better wish everyone a happy St Georges day...........and also wish 3rd Davyhulme's drummers good luck for the weekend!
Reply posted by Gareth ... dated:22 April 2009
I remember marching the at Windsor Castle parade many years ago with the 18th Chester Scouts Marching and Display band. It's a fantastic event. Good luck to the band, it's an experience you'll never forget!
Reply posted by Dennis ... dated:22 April 2009
Lego - you are correct in your assumption. And it was also mentioned earlier in the thread.

The Urmston St George's Day Parade was brought forward from the nearest Sunday to the 23rd as it clashed with the National St George's Day Parade held in Windsor Castle.

This clash usually does not have any effect but this year the Corps of Drums from the 3rd Davyhulme Scout & Guide Band have been invited to perform in the National parade.

The 40+ marching band would need this section to march in Urmston so the whole thing was moved forward. We are very grateful for the flexibility of the District in allowing us to do both.

To march in the National St George's Day Parade is seen as the highest honour bestowed on a Scout Band. They have to play alongside one of HM Guards Bands and so the standard must be excellent.

The Windsor Parade has the two full bands at each end of the parade and needs a Corps of Drums at the mid-point to keep all the Queen Scouts in step. That's what 3rd Davyhulme's drummers are doing this year.

Usually the band which provides the CoDs one year will be invited to provide the full band for the next year. We are hopeful that this will be the case and 2010 will see the 3rd Davyhulme Scout & Guide Band representing its District, County and the North West once more.

We last played at Windsor Castle in 2004 and would be delighted to return so soon. This shows the quality and commitment of the young people from Trafford who play in this band.

Dennis - Band Master
Reply posted by Lego ... dated:21 April 2009
JohnM, I believe the St.George's Day parade was held last Sunday because the band was going somewhere else next Sunday, and a parade without a band isn't really a parade, is it !! Don't know if this is true, but maybe someone connected with the Scouts could let us know.
Reply posted by Stabilo ... dated:21 April 2009
Me and my husband wondered what the gathering was at Golden Hill Park when we drove past, we thought they were having a BBQ or something as we could see smoke but it turned out that someone on the Allotments next door was having a bonfire!!!
If I would have know we would have parked up to watch the marching band, I used to love watching them as a kid, they seemed to happen a lot more when I was younger!
Reply posted by Stuart ... dated:20 April 2009
JohnM,

It was some time since I was involved in the Scout movement (as a Cub Scout working on to being a Scout Leader) and I remember having the St Georges Day Parade on the Sunday closest to the 23rd April. Seeing as this year it falls on Thursday, that would mean NEXT Sunday. It's the same with Rememberance Parades.
Reply posted by Sherbert ... dated:20 April 2009
JohnM - fair point, but my post was to celebrate the efforts of the local community. With all of us contemplating the future of Urmston and moaning about "hooded alcopop swigging youth", I just wanted to thank another set of "youth" for bringing a little bit of extra sunshine to my Sunday afternoon. I did comment to Mrs Sherbert that these sorts of days were why we moved to Urmston from the badlands of Salford.
Reply posted by Caroline ... dated:20 April 2009
St George is the scout's patron saint too. That's why they march.
It was a great parade through Urmston...it is the nearest Sunday as children will be in school on 23rd.
Many will wear their Beaver, Cub etc uniforms in school on St Georges Day.
The parade marched to 5th Urmston's grounds for a renewal of promises and a service. It was fantasic to see so many kids and families together in the sun.
Reply posted by Blooregard ... dated:20 April 2009
I can think of more pressing issues that threaten the nation.

Celebrating St Georges day was in decline well before England even became a glorious nation!!!
Reply posted by JohnM ... dated:20 April 2009
Sherbert - it isn't just scouts though is it? There is a general indifference to our national day, just part of the eroding of this once great nation - that's the real poison!
Reply posted by Claire ... dated:20 April 2009
We were really lucky the weather was fantastic! And well done 3D! great as always!!
Good luck to the 3D drummers who are playing at the St George's day parade in Windsor next weekend!!
Reply posted by Dennis ... dated:20 April 2009
Thanks for the comments - It's always nice to get feedback.

Bandmaster - 3rd Davyhulme Scout & Guide Band
Reply posted by Julie ... dated:20 April 2009
It was the 3rd Davyhulme Scout and Guide Band.
Reply posted by Sherbert ... dated:20 April 2009
How disappointing that some people always feel the need to find the negatives and poison a topic that was posted to be positive.

I haven't been to cubs for over 25 years, so if I'm a bit out of touch with what goes on, then what can I do?

How on earth being a bit ignorant about what the Scout movement does makes me ashamed to be English is perplexing - I know that the 23rd of April is St Georges Day, I just didn't realise the Scout movement had a parade the weekend before.........I suppose I should have popped round to the park to ask them, but as the sun was sooooo hot I was hiding under the parasol!
Reply posted by Joe ... dated:20 April 2009
I second that, it was a great afternoon made a real change to see Urmston full of people enjoying themselves. My son is a beaver and looks forward to the march every year. A big well done to the organisers for such a grand event.
Reply posted by JohnM ... dated:20 April 2009
How sad that people were unsure as to what the occasion was over the weekend. It just goes to prove how ashamed some people are to be English!
Reply posted by Hazel ... dated:19 April 2009
Hi Sherbert,
It was the St Georges Day parade for all the cubs, scouts, brownies, guides etc. It was a fab afternoon for it!
Previous pageTop of the page